Around the world, in every aspect of life, there are two
types of people. The ones who are innovative and the ones who are trying to
keep up. In business, this rule is no different. I was reading a blog about
businesses who have successful blogs. In the first paragraph, the author said “you
don’t have to reinvent the wheel—just
model the best. Take a look at
these thriving blogs and apply the same success strategies to your own blog.”
At first this is a good idea. If someone is doing something well, why not do
the same as they are? In traditional, face-to-face business, this could work
and not raise any concerns because you would rarely copy the idea of a
competitor that is right down the street. However, in the world of blogging,
every website is just a click away from each other. Do you really want to copy
a blog that is only a click away? If you are the copier, you will always be
behind the innovator. I personally find it annoying when multiple websites are
the same. So the question to draw all this together is this:
Do you think a startup blog should copy a successful blog?

I think you ideas are solid. I agree that copying other peoples blog ideas can be annoying. However, I do believe you can get some great ideas from blogs. You might be able to look at those blogs and get some great ideas and use those ideas on a different topic. I think the source you used means it in this way. Learn from the ideas of the good blogs and integrate those ideas into your own blog. You don't have to have the same topic as that blog, but you can gain some helpful knowledge.
ReplyDeleteI agree that you should want to be the innovator, rather than just a copier. However, sometimes it can be useful to browse through other blogs to get some ideas. This will get you thinking about what to blog about. Then, I think you should build off those ideas and add in your own perspective or viewpoints to those ideas.
ReplyDeleteNo art is original. When you are trying to create something new or innovative, especially something that already has a basis for what it is supposed to kind of look like such as a blog, then the wiggle room for creativity is slim. I think with anything you are trying to create you should look at what you like and what is successful and then try to make it yourself. Odds are you are not going to be able to re-create it exactly the way the other person did and in return your own opinions and creative freedom will produce something original on its own.
ReplyDeleteI think we all would want to be the innovator, but I suppose I can understand those who do copy. Although one should follow their own ideas, sometimes it is wise to look at others and their ideas to help one get an idea of their own. I really enjoyed the article, it was well written as well as interesting.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you all of taking the ideas of different blogs and putting them into your own. I personally read the article as more of a "in this area of business, this company's blog does really well so you should do what they are doing so you can do well." I could accept an idea of creativity being redoing an idea in to your realm of business. For example, a car lot could take the blog idea of a bakery and make it work. The two aren't in the same realm hardly at all in a business sense so the same tactics probably wouldn't work therefore creativity is needed.
ReplyDelete